First and foremost, we urge you to pray for Israel’s salvation.
- Romans 10:1 – My heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved.
- John 14:6 – I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Israeli Supreme Court Ruling re Messianic Jews – Clarification
In mid-April, the Israeli Supreme Court issued a ruling regarding whether Messianic Jews could become Israeli citizens. While the court’s decision represented a positive step in the right direction, its effect has been greatly exaggerated in the news media. As an article in The Jerusalem Post dated April 23, 2008 clarifies, the Israeli Supreme Court did not give Jewish believers in Jesus the right to immigrate to Israel as Jews and become citizens. Instead, it affirmed the legal precedent that Messianic believers are no longer Jewish. (The Bible states otherwise, so we disagree with this position.) The court did extend citizenship to Messianic believers, however, under a provision in Israeli law that grants citizenship to non-Jewish descendants of Jewish fathers. See, for example, Jerusalem Post. Messianic Israeli attorneys are trying to clarify this issue because the matter still needs much prayer and focused attention.
- Psalm 24:7 – Lift up your heads, O you gates; be lifted up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in.
- Jeremiah 31:10 – Hear the word of the Lord, O nations, proclaim it in distant coastlands: He who scattered Israel will gather them and will watch over his flock.
- Isaiah 49:22 – See, I will beckon to the Gentiles, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their shoulders.
Terror Attack Aimed at Israeli Messianic Jews
This past Purim, a Messianic Jewish teenager, Ami Ortiz, was the tragic victim of a terrorist attack in his home. Though critically injured, Ami’s recovery thus far has been described as miraculous by his physicians. Ami has several surgeries ahead of him and remains in extreme pain. The terrorists have not yet been apprehended, and there seems increasingly good reason to suspect they were ultra-Orthodox, anti-missionary Israeli Jews. If so, this would be the first time a terror attack was ever perpetrated in Israel by Jews against other Jews—-or Christians. The police have been uncharacteristically silent in the investigation. If the terrorists were indeed anti-missionaries, a great deal of pressure will be brought to bear by the Orthodox not to bring this incident to justice.
- Psalm 103:6 – The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed.
- Psalm 91:15-16 – He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Will Israel Give Away Judea, Samaria and the Golan?
As you likely know, for some time Israeli leaders have discussed the prospect of giving Judea and Samaria (the West Bank) away to the Palestinians, including East Jerusalem. Now, due largely to world pressure, they are also indicating a willingness to relinquish the Golan Heights to Syria for a possible promise of peace.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-2 – I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—-for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
- Genesis 28:13, 15 – I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you [Jacob] and your descendants the land on which you are lying. … I will bring you back to this land.
- Deuteronomy 5:33 – Walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.
- Obadiah 1:11 – On the day you stood aloof while strangers carried off his [Israel’s] wealth and foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem, you were like one of them.
- Joel 3:2 – I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will enter into judgment against them concerning my inheritance, my people Israel, for they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.
Global Anti-Semitism Increasing
Reports of anti-Semitism and anti-Israelism (they are essentially the same) have increased significantly. Especially troubling are the recent number of anti-Israel events in the United States—-especially on college campuses—-and anti-Israel books, articles and speeches circulating in America. Though America has historically been Israel’s strongest supporter, we have also taken serious steps in recent years to undermine her security and possibly even her existence as a sovereign State.
- Lamentations 3:48-50 – Streams of tears flow from my eyes because my people are destroyed. My eyes will flow unceasingly, without relief, until the Lord looks down from heaven and sees.
- Psalm 122:6 – Pray for the peace of Jerusalem. May those who love you be secure.
- Genesis 12:3 – I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.
Christians Flock to Israel for 60th Anniversary
Many thousands of evangelical Christians plan to visit Israel this May, in honor of the nation’s 60th anniversary. Several large-scale events are planned, with the potential to impact Israel with the Spirit of God.
- Isaiah 62:1, 6-7 – For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent, for Jerusalem’s sake I will not remain quiet, till her righteousness shines out like the dawn, her salvation like a blazing torch. … I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest till he establishes Jerusalem and makes her the praise of the earth.
- Isaiah 66:10 – Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice greatly with her, all you who mourn over her.