Shalom from the Middle East—where apart from the Living Presence of the Lord Yeshua, everything except “shalom” seems to be erupting. The nations surrounding us are in spiritual and natural upheaval. As previously stable governments in the region implode, Israel is preparing for what may soon follow: waves of terror and/or military attack on various fronts, all with the concerted goal to annihilate the Jewish state.
Yet God has a plan that will prevail: the salvation of multitudes of Muslim souls, with pockets of revival throughout the Middle East—including the Palestinian Authority. We know the Spirit is saving many in this war-torn region. What we do not know is how much time remains before this underground move is met with even greater resistance and persecution. But we’re committed to uphold it in prayer and with practical help.
Syria is now in a state of civil war, its government collapsing as we write. Syria has served as host nation to Iranian proxy terror groups, including Hezbollah, and is armed with tens of thousands of missiles stockpiled for use against Israel. Into whose hands will these weapons, many of which contain biochemical warheads, soon fall?
A foretaste of coming events was perhaps sampled earlier this week. In the middle of an otherwise quiet night, rockets suddenly fired upon northern Israel for the first time in three years. (This is in addition to over 600 rockets and nearly 400 shells launched from Gaza into Southern Israel during the same time period.) Some Israeli officials suspect the attack was designed to send a message. Earlier that day, an unexplained explosion ripped apart an Iranian nuclear facility in Isfahan. The suspected perpetrator is Israel, which (of course) has not claimed responsibility. Iran threatens, however, that any Israeli military operation taken against its nuclear program will result in an indefensible missile downpour—replete with unconventional weaponry—upon the tiny Jewish state.
At the same time, the radical Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, which is vehemently anti-Semitic and anti-Israel, has gained the apparent victory in Egypt’s current elections. Predictably, democracy in the Arabic Middle East is proving dramatically different from Western-style democracy. This is because Western democracy, which is founded on biblical Judeo-Christian values, is essentially inconsistent with radical, fundamental Islam. Fundamental Islam is inherently fascist in its religiously driven, military-governmental mandate, otherwise known as shari’a law. Its goal is a pan-Arabic Islamic caliphate covering first the Middle East, then the entire globe. Moderate Muslims are to be swallowed up, along with Christians and Jews, as infidels. So to the extent democracy reflects the collective will of a people, there is good reason for Israel to fear democratic reform in this region of the world.
Elsewhere in the Mideast, Iraq’s nascent democracy has resulted in what much of the world labels defeat. Turkey, formerly a warm ally, has staunchly re-aligned itself against Israel as it seeks to re-gain hegemony in the area. Thankfully, to the east, Jordan has not renounced its cold peace treaty with us. But that nation may have little ability to withstand fiery anti-Semitic, Islamist pressures igniting the region. Meanwhile, the Palestinian Authority is fast back-peddling away from peace with Israel, and toward more radical Islamist terror groups instead.
As a result of unprecedented regional instability, the atmosphere is Jerusalem is tense. While people attempt to carry on with their lives as usual, a certain palpable anxiety broods over the city. Our own hearts are at rest in Yeshua, in His shalom. Please pray with us that many will sincerely turn to God in this time of uncertainty and distress. “Therefore the Lord will wait, that He may be gracious to you; and therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for Him. For the people shall dwell in Zion at Jerusalem; you shall weep no more. He will be very gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when He hears it, He will answer you. And though the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your teachers will not be moved into a corner anymore, but your eyes shall see your teachers. Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ‘This is the way, walk in it.'” (Isaiah 30:15 – 21)
- Pray that the fulfillment of God’s end times purposes for Israel occur only in His sovereign timing. The devil often tries to usurp His divine timetable. (Psalm 102:13)
- Pray that God will glorify Himself in Israel and the nations through upcoming conflicts and wars that occur in His timing. (Psalm 83:1-18)
- Pray that Israeli hearts will be softened to receive the Holy Spirit’s loving conviction unto repentance. Please join us in praying that hearts will turn from idolatry, perversity, corruption and in particular, abortion. (Ezekiel 36:24-28; Isaiah 30:15-21; 2 Chron. 7:14)
- Likewise, pray for a spirit of repentance to be released on those nations raging against God and His people. (Psalm 2) Pray for the American church to increase her prophetic voice and intercession on behalf of President Obama. Similarly, pray for the church in Iran to strengthen and begin to shift that nation spiritually.
- Prophetically declare God’s sovereignty over Israel, specifically her land and sea borders. (Isaiah 60:18; Psalm 124) Proclaim, according to the Scriptures, that there is no sorcery effective against Jacob. (Numbers 23:23) Prophetically pray the blood of Yeshua over Israel’s borders.
- Pray for an infusion of godly wisdom on Prime Minister Netanyahu and other Israeli leaders regarding the relinquishment of land. (Proverbs 21:1) Pray against any unholy alliance that would force this against God’s will. (Joel 3:2; Isaiah 54:17)
- According to Psalm 91, pray for a shield of protection over Israel from upcoming conflicts and wars. Pray protection over Israeli soldiers, police, and civilians. Ask God for a minimum of casualties on all sides.
- Pray for the Israeli body of Messiah to be prepared and anointed not only to intercede spiritually, but to reach out to those in darkness during upcoming difficult times. (Colossians 1:9-12)
- Pray for an unprecedented spiritual harvest of Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims in the Middle East. (2 Peter 3:9; Isaiah 19:23-25) Pray for revival — already incipient — in Israel, including the West Bank.