Israel Defense and Police Forces are preparing for mass violence and terror called for by some Palestinian leaders to begin moments from the time I now write. Attacks are threatened throughout Judea and Samaria, but especially on the Temple Mount. Tensions and skirmishes concerning the Temple Mount began last Friday when three Arab Israeli citizens left the al-Aqsa mosque located there, then shot and killed two Israeli police officers in an unprovoked act of terror. The officers turned out to be Druze, who are neither Jewish, Muslim nor Christian, but their own religious sect. (Israeli Druze lived in the Land before the re-establishment of the Jewish state, chose to stay here, and as a result became full-fledged citizens.) Other, nearby Israeli police officers shot and killed the terrorists.
Israel believes the tragedy took place because of low level security measures on the Temple Mount. Muslims entering or exiting the Mount do not pass through any airport-like metal detectors Jews (and others) must walk through to access the Western Wall. The terrorists were able to freely exit the Temple Mount with their weapons and open fire on their victims. Israel responded by closing down the Temple Mount for two days to install metal detectors like those used to protect the Western Wall. Palestinians responded with more terror and violence. High level clerics have called for tens or hundreds of thousands of Muslims, including Arab Israeli citizens, to swarm the Temple Mount, Judea and Samaria on Friday. Hamas in Gaza and some Fatah authorities in the PA have declared July 21 a “Day of Rage” if Muslims are forced to walk through metal detectors for their Friday morning prayers. (Meanwhile, not to be forgotten is the escalating crisis this week with Hezbollah for violations of its ceasefire agreement with Israel.)
Why the fuss over seemingly simple metal detectors? By longstanding agreement, jurisdiction of the Temple Mount compound rests in the hands of a Jordanian Islamic religious authority called the Waqf. Israel retains control only of access to the Mount, not the actual compound. Muslims claim the metal detectors violate the status quo of this agreement by encroaching onto Temple Mount property. Israel claims the security devices do not encroach onto the Mount itself, are minimally invasive, commonly used around the world, and are essential measures to keep the peace in order to maintain the status quo. The US, together with Jordan and Saudi Arabia, tried to broker an agreement to resolve the crisis before Friday morning, Israeli time. They were not successful. As of this writing, the Netanyahu administration left the final decision about using metal detectors to the judgment of the Israeli Police, as realities on the ground unfold.
The current crisis cannot be understood apart from the fact it reflects intensifying, last days’ warfare taking place in heavenly realms. Ultimately, the warfare over Israel is about the battle for Jerusalem, which is about the battle for Mount Zion (Temple Mount), which is about who will be worshiped there: Yeshua or an anti-Messiah type imposter. As of now, here’s how you can pray:
- The Lord spoke to intercessors in Jerusalem early this year that 2017 would bring new shakings to the Temple Mount. However situations would unfold, we were to know He is in control. We are to boldly pray His sovereign purposes into the shakings.
- Covered by the blood of Yeshua, and in the authority of Holy Spirit, proclaim and release all of Psalm 2, especially verses 4-12, into the crisis.
- Authoritatively declare, according to 1 Kings 9:3, that YHVH has put His Name on Mount Zion forever. His Name is supreme and sovereign on His holy hill. Because His Presence is in His Name, His Presence is there forever.
- Pray for anointed angelic hosts in great numbers to be active among Israeli police forces posted at Temple Mount access points and in Old City of Jerusalem. Pray they will be at the right place at the right time, with divine discernment, alertness and protection. Pray specifically for wisdom and protection on Chief of Police Mickey Rosenfeld. Pray similarly for IDF reinforcements. (Psalm 91, 1 Timothy 2:2)
- Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, that plans of darkness would fail and the enemies of God would be caught in their own traps. Pray for mercy so injuries and deaths on both sides will be minimal or nonexistent. (Psalm 122; 141:10)
- Pray for the convicting deterrence of the Holy Spirit to fall supernaturally on Muslims readying to riot. Pray for supernatural revelation of Jesus that leads to salvation and worship of the God of Israel. (Matthew 5:44)
- As mentioned in last week’s post, we sense God may be shaking religious strongholds in Israel for the sake of an upcoming spiritual harvest. Proclaim freedom throughout the land in this Year of Jubilee based on the 50th anniversary of Jerusalem’s reunification. (Leviticus 25:10)
Thank you and God’s favor be on you for praying! References include: